Saturday, January 8, 2011

Feature #5: Victoria White, Flight Attendant


Name: Victoria White
Job Position Title: Flight Attendant
Special skills: Customer Service; First Aid; Mentoring

Describe your career story:
I had been out of the Navy (active duty) for a few months and was a store manager at a boutique, a Navy Reservist, and going to school full-time when I decided that I was over it! I felt like I was slowly killing myself with all of the stress and lack of rest. Not to mention, I had just finished a deployment right before I got out of the Navy. So I quit my job, stopped going to school, and got out of the Navy Reserves. I decided that I wanted to go after my dreams of being a Flight Attendant.

For months I went to the library every day, job searching for a flight attendant position to open. So one day my boyfriend came with me and logged onto his job search account. There was a message to him about a flight attendant open house. I was boggled because I did not receive that message. I wrote the information down and proceeded to get my passport and filled out the application. I went to the open house and was hired with 13 people although over 100 had applied! I was ecstatic! Very proud of myself. I had deadlines to get my fingerprints and drug test done and missed the fingerprint date because I attended my brother's graduation from college in Alabama.

I guess all of the excitement caused it to slip my mind. I also found out I was pregnant all in the same week and I began to stress. I called the manager that hired me and told him that I was still interested and he said it was nothing he could do. At that point I was very disappointed in myself for missing the opportunity to live out my dream. I prayed and prayed along with my grandmother and mother. And what do you know, all of a sudden I get a random phone call and answered it. The person on the other line asked to speak to me. She then said I am going to send you a kit to get your fingerprints and drug test done and all you have to do is send the paperwork back. I said, "THANK YOU LORD!!!

I then did everything I was supposed to do. I used my month to study and went off to training. When I got to training I had to let them know that I was 4 going on 5 months pregnant. My trainer said it was okay as long as I wasn't in my first trimester. I made an A on every single test and a 105 on the Final. I was pregnant with extra emotions but I did not let that stop me from achieving my goals! I have now been a flight attendant for almost 3 years and I love it!!!

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
Growing up I wanted to be a dance choreographer and a flight attendant.

Are doing your dream job?
Yes, one of them,

What do you like MOST about what you do?
I love changing lives. My goal is to make at least one person smile every day. I love traveling to different cities and experiencing different lifestyles and cultures.

What do you like the LEAST?
I don't like the fact that I miss my son every time I walk out of the door.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
In the next 5 years I will probably still be a flight attendant but my seniority will be higher and I'll probably only have to work a few days out of the month! I also hope to have my brother's clothing line up and running.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I am very happy but there is always room for improvement. I don't like to settle.

What more do you want to do with your life?
Maybe start some dance classes one day! Mostly to stay fit.

What drives/motivates you?
My son! If it weren't for him I would not be where I am today!

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Never Give Up Hope!!!! You can do all things through Christ that Strengthens You! I am a true believer in FAITH!

2 comments:

  1. I admire that you became what you wanted to be as a child. Not many can say that they did that. Inspiring story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU HAVE TO GO FOR YOUR DREAMS! KEEP AIMING HIGH!

    ReplyDelete