Sunday, January 16, 2011

Feature #28: Ernst, Personal Banker

 
 
Name: Ernst

Current Job Position Title: Personal Banker

Company name: Chase

Describe your job story:
A friend of mine told me the company was having a career fair and I attended. At the event I spoke to a few hiring managers and passed my resume around. Two days later I got an e-mail asking me to formally put in an application and to follow up to schedule an interview.

To do my job you have to know how to work with people. Good interpersonal communication skills are a must. You also have to be driven to succeed; every day is a different battle.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
As a teen I wanted to be a basketball player. I was a basketball fiend (I take pride in saying that for a whole season, or maybe longer, I did not miss one Knicks game lol). Thanks to my parents though, and most other adults in my life, I still achieved educationally, because that basketball thing didn't work out as planned lol.

Are doing your dream job?
Not quite.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
Nothing makes me feel better than when a customer leaves my desk happier than when they sat down. I love the feeling of helping someone who wants help. In my job I have the opportunity to help people manage their money. I want to do more of that.

What do you like the LEAST?
The pressure can be a bit too intense at times. I've heard of people doing things they wouldn't have done if it weren't for that pressure.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
With an MBA under my belt, settling down. I haven't made too many concrete plans for that time. I have too many ideas of what I can be doing five years from now, so I choose to focus on shorter-term goals. The idea behind that is accomplishing those short-term goals will get me ready for what will come further down the line. My short-term focus is to get into graduate school.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
That question has a two-part answer. First: I am very fortunate to have the support system, in terms of friends and family, and a girlfriend who's support and encouragement is unbelievable. I consider myself lucky to have had some of the experiences that I've had. I've been humbled, and I've learned a lot about myself in the last couple years. In that sense, I'm very happy. In terms of my career, I still have a lot to work on. Considering the times, I'm happy that I'm gainfully employed. However I have the desire to do something big. Something that will be an agent to make a difference in many people's lives. Since I haven't even scratched the surface on that, I feel something is missing.

What more do you want to do with your life?
So much lol.

What drives/motivates you?
The opportunity to succeed. The hope that there's something, or someone, out there that I can help improve. I work in finance, and want to have a career in finance, but when I tell people that money doesn't motivate me, I get a surprised look. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be financially comfortable, but I will measure my success based on what I am worth to my community and to society as a whole. I'm a firm believer in the idea that you shouldn't measure your worth with your paycheck.

What else do you do?
Most of the free time I have now is devoted to preparing to apply for graduate school. Right now I'm preparing to take the GMAT. Other than that I write periodically for All About Business (allaboutbiz.org). The organization focuses on economic empowerment through various community-based programs (the work they do is awesome!). I'm also in the process of joining Big Brothers Big Sisters NYC.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
If there's something you should never lose, it's hope. Hope is a big part of what keeps us going. I know the feeling though, since I was unemployed myself. So I know what it feels like when everything you've done doesn't seem to be enough. For those of us who have student loans, we start to feel like we've wasted our money, and four years going to college. But through it all you have to remain hopeful. Hope is what gives you the strength to wake up the next day and write that 100th (or more) resume and cover letter.

On a more tangible note, stay active. If you can, find somewhere to volunteer, definitely do that. If you can use those skills that you would've been using in your career while volunteering, that's even better. Volunteering is important because it helps you fill in that unemployment gap. If you're lucky enough to be using your career-specific skills, then it shows potential employers that you're still sharp. Lastly, you get to network. Volunteering might actually get you your next job!

No comments:

Post a Comment