Sunday, January 16, 2011

Feature #18: Kareem Taylor, Voice Actor...


Name: Kareem Taylor

Current Job Position Title: Voice Actor, Radio Personality

Describe your job story:
My roommate and I were joking one night as we watched YouTube videos of movie trailers and commercials. We laughed at the folks doing the voices. The fact that there’s an actual person in a studio somewhere talking like that is hilarious. We mocked their voices the entire night. Eventually, the campus started to find out I could do “the voice” and I was drafted to announce pageants, and even got paid for it. Soon, I was dubbed “The Voice of CAU” by students, faculty and staff.

That summer, I thought I could really make a living doing it and put together a voiceover demo. I finished it up and, with the advice of many gracious voice actors and producers, sent it out to dozens of talent agents. That same day many responded saying it was the best FIRST demo they had ever heard and wanted to know more! I ended up taking the greyhound to New York that same summer (which was the longest ride ever), and meeting with two agencies. I graduated Clark Atlanta in August 2010, relocated to New York and signed with my talent agency that same month. I’m here now making it happen. There’s no special formula to do what I do… I just think whatever you do you should genuinely be happy doing it. ☺

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
I wanted to be a magician, professional roller-blader, a DJ and, don’t judge me, but a recording artists for Death Row Records.

Are you doing your dream job?
I love this question. This is nowhere near my dream job. It’s actually beyond that. I could’ve never imagined that I would be getting paid to… speak. Since early childhood all the way through college and to now I’ve done impressions and crazy things with my voice. To get paid for it is truly a plus. I did it for free my entire life… and I wake up in the morning, or afternoon, eager to voice anything! ☺

What do you like MOST about what you do?
I love the challenge, and the unknown factor of what I do. No one really thinks about the voice behind the movie trailer or the automatic telephone operator, and I LOVE THAT. It’s exciting for me every time I step inside the recording studio to become an actor, and really try to sell someone a product with my voice.

What do you like the LEAST?
Getting a cold ☺

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
I’ll be 28, and that’s what I see ☺

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I couldn’t be happier. Sometimes we wait for the perfect moment to wait and say we are happy… the present is the perfect moment, and I’m just happy to be here.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I really want to go out of the country, see what’s really going on in other places and see how I could contribute to something positive over there.

What drives/motivates you?
My family, my friends and people in the world who just want to do good. Oh yeah, my landlord and Sallie Mae too.

What else do you do?
I recently started broadcasting my own late night radio show from my apartment in NYC, and I love it. I love music, and I love to discuss love, dating and relationships. www.PillowTalkSessions.com

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Preparation + Opportunity = Success. I don’t usually give in to the self help tips and phony “You can do it!” schemes… but I really feel that the power to make something happen is in your hands. If you cannot get a job, go intern somewhere, send out emails to everyone you know, network and never stop trying. Most of all, if you can’t find a job, create one. It’s easier done than said, and that’s not a typo.

1 comment:

  1. AJohnson said:

    very encouraging! I love that you contributed and shared some motivation with so many that are feeling down about not being employed!

    January 11, 2011 11:04 AM

    ReplyDelete