Saturday, January 8, 2011

Feature #3: Kashira Maddox, Event Producer

Name: Kashira Marie Maddox

Current Job Position Title: Event Producer

Company Name (optional): Event Therapy Group (Owner/CEO) STEPS Event Planning Firm (Event Consultant)

Contact Information: eventtherapygroup@gmail.com

Special skills:
I would say my most special skills are that I am visionary, global thinker, who’s intuitive in my decision making because I trust myself. I see end results before I see steps. I see the world connected, more so than I see the limitations.

Describe your job story:
I got my job with STEPS Event Planning Firm back in 2004, as a sophomore in college. I was an International Business Major, which to me, included traveling the world redefining business. I was grossly attracted to Art History and my core business classes. I loved getting up in front of my small groups doing presentations and persuading others to see my vision.

My best friend Renae and I had just moved from Statesboro, Georgia, to the city of Atlanta, and I saw the woman I wanted to be, in her father’s best friend Jacquie Lee, whom Renae was living with at the time. She was bold and unapologetic, she knew the ins and outs of her career industry and she was powerful and sensitive to others all at the same time. One morning, I think I was on a break from school. I called her at 7am and told her I needed an internship. I had no clue what I wanted to do, but I need something that would inspire me and create a fire within to find my passion. Jacquie and
I had in common the ability to persuade others, as well as the determination to redefine an industry.
She made a call to Jamahl King of STEPS Event Planning Firm, and he allowed me to come in as an intern. My first event was a celebrity golf tournament with Michael Vick, Alicia Barnes, and a few others. I felt comfortable and in my element. I was hired as part of the STEPS Event Planning team exactly one month later. The rest has been making history.

I started Event Therapy Group this year, because honestly being my own company offered me the most growth potential.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
As a child, I’m not sure I had the opportunity to dream about what I wanted to be. I was full of adult responsibilities very early on. I’ve had a job since I was 14 years old, and each job I went for I landed on my first interview. I got saved at the age of 11, so my only plan honestly, was to follow the voice of God. I think, though, I may have had an interest in interior design and fashion because those things came natural for me. I do remember being a teenager and thinking that I needed a career that would allow me to get lots of free clothes, and meet amazing people. Looking back now, I got all that and so much MORE!
Are doing your dream job?
I am. It took me quite some time to realize that though, because I’ll admit I haven’t loved every part of the journey. In my industry you meet a lot of people who you dream up to be so amazing and when you meet them, work with, and for them, they’re a total disappointment. I wear my heart on my sleeve so I’ve had my heart broken and my bubbles burst MANY times. Contrarily, I’ve also met some of the most incredible and talented people on earth. Each day I never know what I’m going to get, it’s a great challenge, and most always I find myself in situations I could have never dreamed up on my own. My job is manifesting my imagination so it is indeed, a dream come true.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
Each project is new. I don’t do the same thing twice ever! That rocks! Each project brings a new challenge and new solutions so I love that!

What do you like the LEAST?
Budgets! Haha! In my mind, I don’t get a dollar amount, so I imagine all of these opulent things and then when I get a final number, some of those things get cut out. More often than not, I re-imagine and create a perfect harmony of my first vision and reality.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
I see myself running my business from multiple offices, Atlanta, New York City, and Los Angeles, preparing to open a London office. I see spending my free time with friends and family and an amazing fiancé.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I am. I’ve slowed down enough to appreciate the journey itself. I’ve learned to appreciate and LOVE each moment that makes me both thankful and happy.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I would love to become a part of a network that increases global awareness and resolutions. My life’s purpose is to connect the dots back to people who lack the resources to create better lives for themselves.

What drives/motivates you?
My family, my niece specifically Ariyonna Newsome, I’ve made a lot of sacrifices to have what I have now. I don’t get to see them often at all. I’ve lived away from home for about 7 years now, I’ve only been able to visit them twice since I’ve left. So everything I do, I do in hopes that they will have the resources to create the lives they want for themselves.

What else do you do?
I am also a part-time cocktail waitress at a restaurant nightclub.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
What you’re seeing and experiencing now is only temporary. It builds character and integrity. I will be these very same experiences that will provide you peace and progress in your journey. Take this break you have from working for someone else and work on yourself. Read books on topics you enjoy, take a class, rest, catch up with friends and family because when you do get started again, you will want to be prepared for opportunities and be active in life’s moments.

1 comment:

  1. I love your comment that you have slowed down enough to appreciate the journey itself. That's what it is about, the journey. If you haven't read Russell Simmons "Do You" i would definitely encourage you to.

    ReplyDelete