Monday, January 10, 2011

Feature #10: Kayla Billups, Family Counselor

Name: Kayla Billups

Current Job Position Title: Family Counselor

Company Name: Youth Villages

Contact Information: kaylanichol84@gmail.com, Facebook: Kayla Billups

Special skills:
I don’t let things stress me, there comes a time when I struggle and I may not have it all but I know that I can always rely on God. I feel like everything happens for a reason and that everything is learning experience. I always like to try new things; I would rather try it before I just wholeheartedly shut it down.

Describe your job story:
I started working with my company two years ago. I graduated from school mid December and had my interview on New Years Eve in Memphis. I prayed about it and I wasn’t afraid to move, even though I had never been to Memphis before in my life (my boyfriend at the time was from there, and he knew the guy that hired me). I was offered the job a week later and was asked to move to Memphis in mid January. So I left, I started out as a behavioral counselor at a residential facility for at risk youth. When I was hired I was told that most people don’t last 6 months in that position. I exceeded my expectations and did it for a year and a half. I was starting to get a little tired with all of the changes, and o be honest I was ready for something new. I started school and decided that when my lease ended that I would probably move. I really wanted to stay with the company because h=they offer so many services to families. So two weeks before my lease was up I interviewed for the Family Counselor position in Atlanta, and it was offered to me. I took the job and have been here since October 2010.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
As a child I always wanted to be a pediatrician or neonatologist. I went to school in New Orleans at Dillard University and started out Biology/ Pre-Med. I was on the honor roll and doing great until my grandmother had a stroke so I moved back to Atlanta and transferred to Clayton State. I tried to stick with that major but things didn’t work out as well. So I moved to Psychology and Human Services. I just felt that as long as I got the opportunity to work with children then I would love my job.

Are doing your dream job?
Hmmm right now I love it but I'm still not sure. I feel as if my dream job is to do anything working with children, because they are our future.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
The fact that I make my own schedule most of the time. I have meetings on Mon and Wed but outside of that I just have to make sure I see my families at least 3 times a week (whatever is convenient for them). So if I wake up tomorrow and don’t feel like going out then I won’t, that just means I have Tue- Sun to see them.

What do you like the LEAST?
There is a lot of paperwork, but it’s only as much as you make it. If you let it pile up on you then it will def become overwhelming.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
In the next five years I will have completed my master’s hopefully married (at least engaged), with at least one or two children. Not sure if I will still be in Atlanta. In the next five years I see myself just as happy as I am today if not more. I see myself enjoying my life while continuing to help others.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
Yes I am, I am 26 with my first house, no kids, an active participant in my family life, and doing something that I love. I am proud of myself for not settling, and that God hasn’t put more on me than I can bear. I like the fact that I am continuing to grow as a woman, and that I am not basing my success on what others have, and being appreciative of what I have.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I want to open up a home after I have my own children, to adopt kids that have families that don’t want them, or can’t take care of them (especially babies, preferably fewer than 3 yrs old). I want to have my own kids, between 3 and 5. I want to be remembered for all the good things I’ve done, and all the help I provided to families. Maybe one day when I retire I want to open a bakery because I live for sweets lol.

What drives/motivates you?
My family knowing that they support me, especially my niece and nephew. Doing things that the people in my family won’t do, being 26 with no kids and a house with a degree while working on another one is a huge accomplishment in my family. My grandmother motivates me even though she is no longer here, she did social work raised her three children, and her three grandchildren (including me), and still made time to take in foster kids. The fact that I have very supportive friends that are continuing to exceed their own dreams and expectations.

What else do you do?
I donate 3% of my check to my job to offer assistance to families. I try and volunteer as much as I can, and I travel every chance I get. My goal is to at least go to every capitol in the United States.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Find a support system, someone that’s gone help motivate u when u don’t have the energy to motivate yourself. Know that there is something out there just for you, u were not placed here to do nothing everyone has a purpose. I say take baby steps don’t get discouraged if this success doesn’t happen over night. BELIEVE IN U especially when others don’t.

1 comment:

  1. It seems you have a very strong support system and you try to provide the same for others. That is great! Support will carry people so far just knowing that someone believes in them when they don't believe in themselves!

    ReplyDelete