Sunday, January 16, 2011

Feature #29: Andrea Simmons, Licensed Practical Nurse


Name: Andrea Simmons

Current Job Position Title: Licensed Practical Nurse

Company Name: Universal Health Systems

Contact Information: rockinurse@gmail.com

Special skills:
I don’t really have any.. Hmm I’m a great listener! Lol I’m very empathetic and compassionate to those who are in need of help..

Describe your job story:
I found my current job after searching the internet I was tired of working as a Correctional Nurse at the Fulton County Jail.. I wanted to work with people who were in need of help due reasons they couldn’t control.. Plus I wanted 12hour shifts.. So I applied and two weeks later I had an interview, I passed that then I had a second interview and I passed that one and then a week later I was going through orientation.. That was in June 2007 here it is Jan 2011 and I am STILL there.. Don’t get me wrong there have been days that I felt like LEAVING but I go home get myself together and come back to work.. It takes a lot of patience, empathy, listening skills, therapeutic skills about children who are mentally sensitive.. I love working with the children..

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
Hairdresser and a Dentist

Are doing your dream job?
Yes….

What do you like MOST about what you do?
I am currently an adolescent psychiatric nurse.. Children ranging in ages from 5-21 years old…I remember when I was in nursing school, I was like “Hell Naw” I will NEVER work in Psych.. I find this to be the most rewarding of all…. I am happy I accepted this position. I am very fortunate to have grown up the way that I did.. A LOT of the kids that I work with have Parental Neglect, Parents never feed them, feed them like animals, emotional abuse, physical abuse.. and I sit to myself and say DANG I thought I had it bad!!!! Witnessing the aftermath of what happened to these kids has really humbled me… I spend most of my twelve hour shifts interacting with these children being a positive role model showing them that its okay to befriend someone and that person doesn’t expect anything in return.. That you can ALWAYS come and talk to me and I will ALWAYS listen.. Sometimes all they need is a listener and someone that is nonjudgmental.. Just when I think I’m not doing all I can.. It’s that one kid that comes to me after I have been off for several days that runs to me and give me the BIGGEST side hug looks at me and says “Ms. ANDREA Where have you been??? I’ve missed you??” This is what I like MOST about my JOB …

What do you like the LEAST?
Uggh… Administration… lol

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
I expect to be finished with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing, working in a regular Medical hospital exploring the different areas of nursing dealing with surgery. Maybe Married?? Lmao.. who knows!!! Lol


Are you happy with where you are in life?
Yes.. I am currently in school to get my Associates Degree in Nursing.. Recently purchased my first home, working Full Time… There is some days that I feel overwhelmed but hey, its LIFE…

What more do you want to do with your life?
I want my Masters Degree in Anesthesia.. I will not work in the field until my late 30’s due to the reproductive hazard the field poses.. I want to be able to Vacation more… I want to enjoy some free time with my kid… I also plan on more kids in the future…


What drives/motivates you?
MONEY.. LOL Just kidding.. Umm I know that my mom, and grandparents are not going to be here forever so while I have their help and assistance I need to utilize it to the best of my abilities.. I know I am Blessed… I just want to be as successful as they have been in LIFE.. I appreciate everything they have done and are doing in my life..


What else do you do?
I am a Full-Time MOM!!! Lol


What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Go back to school there is something that you should be able to do and get a trade.. Don’t give up hope… There is something out there for everybody. But if I was in that situation I would seek employment in another field..?? Stay prayed up.. P>U>S>H….

No comments:

Post a Comment