Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Feature #33: Lauren T. Fareira, Independent Musician

 
Name: Lauren T. Fareira (SenoritAwesome!)

Current Job Position Title: Independent Musician/Professional Bad A**

Contact Information: (: www.senoritawesome.com :)

Special Skills: Making something out of nothing.

Describe your job story (how you got the job, what it takes to do what you do, etc.):

Well, music-related jobs have been a part of my side hustle since college. Paying for Spelman was no joke. In addition to my work-study as a desk aide and weekends at the Gap, I worked as a musician (teaching guitar lessons and singing/playing with the choir) at Our Lady of Lourdes Church for several years, even after I was no longer attending Spelman.

Around the latter part 2006, I began performing my original music at open mics in the Atlanta area. People really seemed to dig it. Honestly, I was surprised at how well my music was received. During this same time, I was hired as a show manager for Big Time Entertainment (now Afton Live), a national booking agency based in Oregon. Not only did I get to listen to and meet some pretty amazing local bands, I learned a TON about event planning, dealing with unhappy egos, and getting booked (and pizz-aid!) at clubs and venues.

Didn't take me long to start applying my knowledge. As my performance load became heavier and heavier, my calendar was bursting at the seams. Any night I had I off from waiting tables (or ringing up customers at the Gap or managing the pizza shop or running around as a camp counselor, etc…lol), you could find me on somebody's stage with my guitar. Eventually, I ended up quitting or getting fired from my random assortment of jobs and started doing music full time.

It takes a lot of dedication and sacrifice to pursue a career in the music industry, especially on an independent level. It's not an industry for the faint of heart. It can get pretty cutthroat on the way to the top. Some people are willing to do anything for fame and fortune, and you need insane amounts of personal accountability and strength to keep from getting swept up in the politics, or blinded by the glamour.

Currently, I mainly balance my time between doing freelance studio work (ie. songwriting with different producers, artists, and musicians) and performing either as SenoritAwesome!, or accompanying one of my many musically-talented friends on guitar at their shows. I set my own hours, make my own rules and I LOVE IT! Ultimately, I strive to start my own record label, as well as have a studio/venue. I'm hoping to use the millions I plan on making as an artist and songwriter to achieve these goals.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?

Growing-up, I just knew I was going to be a veterinarian. But after spending nine months volunteering at a veterinary clinic during my junior year of high school, I totally changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I loved the work I did there. I just knew I couldn't do that everyday, for the rest of my working life. I didn't really have a clear vision of what I wanted to do after that until I got to Spelman and fell madly in love with music.

Are doing your dream job?

I feel incredibly blessed to say that I most certainly am! Thanks in large part to a host of wonderful people who made sacrifices so I could continue living my dream. I have no idea where I would be without all the love and good energy being sent my way.

What do you like MOST about what you do?

Getting to meet all different kinds of people. Music is so powerful and it feels great to be a vessel for spreading something that brings so much happiness to EVERYone. All colors, sizes, shapes and ages! :)

What do you like the LEAST?

I would love to be able to spend more time with my family and close friends. Traveling to play shows and loooooooong studio hours make having a social life pretty tricky. I will say it has really helped me to truly appreciate and treasure the moments I do get to share with my loved ones.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

On top of the world.

Are you happy with where you are in life?

For the most part. But I've learned that the road to awesome is paved with a lot of bull manure. I just keep myself focused on the end result. It's hard to stay sad about the little stuff when you know how amazing it's all going to turn out.

What more do you want to do with your life?

Tinted windows, bigger rims, and world peace….just kidding. Except the part about world peace ;)

What drives/motivates you?

Knowing that I have a special gift that only I can share.

What else do you do?

Make people smile.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?

The universe will take care of you as long as you stay committed to the life you ultimately want to lead. Faith is the key to everything. Visualize your success, believe in your dreams, and the rest pretty much follows. ♥!
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Yes The universe will always respond directly with what you accept as your path! Very powerful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to meet you April 12 when I come back with Justin. I feel like I already know you!

    ReplyDelete