Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Feature #34: Shautessia Woods, Team Member


Name: Shautessia Woods

Current Job Position Title (ex. Librarian, Teacher, etc.): Team Member

Contact Information: @sagileo, @havoc_atl

Special skills: the gift of gab

Describe your job story:
Once I graduated college my advisor informed me that the HMA was hiring and I applied. To do the job that I do it takes a temporary level of insanity (no seriously). You would have to be crazy enough to deal with the rude customers and people who grace your presence everyday. But it also takes a level of patience and understanding. The job definitely tests your character and not everyone can deal with that.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
Growing up I always wanted to be in the spotlight. I used to walk around giving others my autograph and telling them that one day I would be famous and for them to remember me. (on my way) I used to say I was the next Whitney Houston and put on concerts for friends.

Are doing your dream job?
Surprisingly yes to some extent. I may not be in the full spotlight with everyone knowing my name, but I have started a community organization: HAVOC, which stands for Having A Voice of Change. HAVOC is designed to change the frame of mind of urban youth. Whether it be mentoring, literacy programs or visionary workshops, I work closely with children and help them see a brighter future than they would have ever imagined. So yes that is my dream job. Making sure that I get my message out there and continue to shine the light on anyone that needs it.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
What I LOVE most about what I do is seeing others happy and satisfied. Knowing that the children in the program or even the adults will learn something new or take away a sense of being that they never had before. I love being around the children when they learn something new, encouraging them to want more and seeing in their eyes that they believe the vision you have/want for them. I also love making others laugh - yes, that is apart of what I do. I love when my friends have a good time and I added to the occasion.

What do you like the LEAST?
Feeling like I have failed, or not being able to help at my full potential. There is no worse feeling to me than thinking I have let a friend down or someone who depends on me. Truth of the matter is, there are certain situations that you can't control and as bad as you want, everyone can't be helped.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
In the next 5 years... living out my dreams and spreading Peace & Positivity.

Are you happy with where you are in life? I am more than happy. I am blessed and loving every minute of it. I thank God for this wonderful place I am in and continue to pray that it will only get better.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I want to do everything. I want to travel internationally, I want to give hope to those who may have lost it. I just want to be me and be accepted.

What drives/motivates you?
Those who have a vision that never had the chance to see it form and have had their dreams taken away from them is what motivates me. The desire to show others you don't have to be afraid to dream out loud. My past motivates me, coming from a place where as a child, I didn't feel accepted by my peers but look what that made me. Never let anything stop you from wanting to accomplish something that God places on your heart. Never.

What else do you do?
I am starting a clothing line, conscious one at that), operating HAVOC, producing a documentary entitled 'The Reel Black vs. The Real Black' and trying to be a blessing to others.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Never give up, God always shows up and shows out. Always keep the faith and believe in yourself. It's not arrogance, it's confidence and once your believe your light and vision will shine through so everyone can see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment