Monday, January 10, 2011

Feature #19: Aletha Scott, Chemical Engineer

Aletha and her "babies"
Name: Aletha Scott

Current Job Position Title:
Day Job: Chemical Engineer, Evening Job: Cosmetic Chemist

Company Name (optional):
Audacious Cosmetics

Contact Information:
Twitter @be_Audacious
Email info.audacious@gmail.com

Special skills:
Thinking outside the box

Describe your job story:
I’ve always made cosmetics so starting a cosmetic line was a calculated move for me, not a hobby turned into career. I worked for large and small cosmetic companies so I had the experience to back me up. It was just up to me to take the leap! I majored in Chemical engineering but one doesn’t have to in order to be a cosmetic chemist, you can major in chemistry, biology.. anything.. it’s the experience in formulating that you need, and a bit of an artistic eye.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
I wanted to be a scientist and discover my own element ..Alethium… I also wanted to win the Nobel in something.. and I wanted to be a chemist.

Are doing your dream job?
YES! Both of them!

What do you like MOST about what you do?
I am free to formulate whatever I like and there are no restrictions on the ingredients I use. I can use high quality ingredients and sell my stuff for cheap and I wont get fired, because I am my boss!

What do you like the LEAST?
I wish there were more African American female cosmetic chemists out there.. so I can have someone to bounce ideas off of.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Preparing to leave my day job to run my cosmetic line full time.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
Very! I am exactly where I want to be

What more do you want to do with your life?
I want to travel. I want to eat dinner on every continent.


What drives/motivates you?
Knowing that somewhere there is a little girl, playing in her mothers cosmetic bag wondering how it was made. And I could be the one to pave the way for her.

What else do you do?
I cook a lot. I have a blog that I share my recipes: http://thethickvegetarian.blogspot.com/

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
There is never “no hope” even someone on their deathbed has hope.. and you arnt on your deathbed.. you are just looking for a job.

5 comments:

  1. Go Letha!!! Thanks for paving the way for other little girls. I'm very excited for your future and the little ones that come behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly a woman without boundaries!! Congrats & great work!! :) **Applause**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your passion and drive. Keep up the good work Aletha!

    ReplyDelete