Friday, January 21, 2011

Feature #35: Travis D. Jackson, Analyst...

 
Name: Travis D. Jackson

Current Job Position Title: Analyst, Category Management

Company Name: Kellogg

Contact Information: Travis.Jackson@Kellogg.com

Special skills:
Analytical
Persuasive
Strong Interpersonal Skills
Great prioritization

Describe your job story:

My hiring manager when I first started with Kellogg was a Morehouse Man, so he came to the school looking for talent for an open Sales role. He contacted one of my professors, my professor contacted me and I applied. Made it through the interview process and got hired on the spot. I spent 3.5 years in Sales and I’ve just recently accepted a promotion to Category Management. As far as skills go, it’s my job to analyze data and build stories from that data that will influence the purchase behavior of consumers. In laymen’s terms, I figure out what people are buying, why they are buying it, and develop ways to influence them to buy more.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?

Actually growing up I wanted to be a veterinarian, but as I got older I realized I didn’t like blood. I’ve always been good at math, and I’ve always been rather analytical so I knew my job would involve those specific skill sets

Are doing your dream job?

Not quite. I eventually want to move into full fledge marketing and marketing research. I consider my current job a foundational building block on my way to that ultimate goal.

What do you like MOST about what you do?

I like working with our Shopper Insights team to gain a better understanding of why people do what they do in terms of purchase behavior. Also, after spending 3.5 years out in the field selling, I love being in an office now where I get to interact with coworkers from various backgrounds and in various job roles.

What do you like the LEAST?

Because I actually go to an office every day now, my schedule is a lot less flexible.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

I see myself either still in category management but in a people management role, or as a member of the Kellogg Shopper Insights team.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
Very happy. I’ve been blessed.

What more do you want to do with your life?

I love to write poetry, so I would like to eventually write a poetry book a about my life experiences. I also like mentoring. I would like to start a non-profit geared towards mentoring young men, helping them to grow into leaders in their communities.

What drives/motivates you?

I’m motivated by my mother. Knowing the sacrifices she made to get my sister and me to where we are makes me want to do well so that I can pay her back for all she has done. I’m also motivated by my best friend. She is a very driven individual and it is very contagious. She keeps me going on the days when I feel like giving up. My older sister has also been a big influence as well.

What else do you do?

In my free time I write. I read. I watch movies. I people watch. I try to enjoy life. And prior to taking my new role I was a mentor for young men.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?

Never give up. If you can’t find a job, find ways to make yourself more desirable/employable. Take a certification course at your local community college. Acquiring new skills shows your potential employer that you are keeping up with the newest trends in the industry. Oh and network, network, network!!!!! Who you know is just as, if not, more important than what you know. Even though it’s cliché, it still holds true.

No comments:

Post a Comment