Monday, January 10, 2011

Feature #12: Wendy Bray, Senior Health Information Technician


Name: Wendy Bray

Current Job Position Title: Senior Health Information Technician

Company Name:
Grady Memorial Hospital

Contact Information: www.facebook.com/

Special skills:
I don’t know about any special skills .. I can bake !!!

Describe your job story:
I was offered the job after I did my 1st practicum / internship with the hospital. In order to be able to do the job you have to have graduated from an accredited 2 yr university in Health Information Technology. It was by the grace of god that I was offered the fulltime position considering 3 days before my orientation I was going to be a temp. Then human resources called and said that my supervisor wanted to make me permanent !!! I work with patients medical information all day doing investigations trying to verify patients information. That details combining their information or sifting through just in case they are not the same patient. You also have to be a Registered Health Information Technician; I am currently studying to take my test in march or april !!

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
I wanted to be a detective

Are doing your dream job?
No I am not. I chose this new profession because I was at first looking for a quick and easy way to get a job to support my son and myself.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
I like that I get to work in the hospital !! my mom step mom and grandmother are nurses and they used to try to get me to do it all the time but I said no I don’t want to. But now I have everything I want all in one. I get to work with patients, I get to sit at my desk, I get to be able to walk around and NOT JUST sit at my desk {that can weight on your body making you fat}, I am networking with various people at the job which is opening my eyes to the many career opportunities the health field offers. We have a lot of meetings with my director and I am constantly communicating with someone about something which gives me the chance to show off my talents of how intelligent a woman I really am even though I am the 2nd youngest woman in the office !

What do you like the LEAST?
I do not like the petty things in the office but that’s everywhere you go and I also do not like that I am sometimes confined to only the office and I rarely get a chance to go out and EXPLORE the other areas in the hospital

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
I see myself in school getting my masters in what I have no clue right now =) I might possibly still be working at my currently facility or I might be somewhere else all I know is that I will be enjoying whatever I do. I will also be a soccer mom ! I cant wait till my son is of age to start playing sports and getting into the different opportunities out here.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
At first before I started school I felt really bad that I had no accomplished anything like my other classmates had; particularly pertaining to college education. But right now in this moment after graduating from school and getting this job I am very happy with where I am.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I want to earn a masters degree in whatever it doesn’t matter if it takes me till im 70 lol but I also would like to start traveling and visit different places in the world. That’s what I always wanted to do anyway because I know there is more in this world outside of 285/75/85/20

What drives/motivates you?
My son drives and motivates me to do better and have better for him. Not to spoil him and give him everything in life but to make sure that he will never want for anything and if he needs it I will have it. People telling me that I cant do it also motivates me. That’s how I graduated with this degree because others we’re telling me you cant do it; you have a child now; you wont be able to work, go to school, and raise a child. Hmph I know I showed them !! The pay motivates me as well it’s nice to see a fat check when I have never seen it before in my life !

What else do you do?
I do not do anything else right now as of this moment. I am planning on enrolling in school for June 2011 and since I graduated last June I am currently just taking a break right now enjoying the time that I can spend with my son friends and family before school starts back up and im MIA

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
I always stress for people to get an education. I am a firm believer that with education there is a job out there for you. Also take what you can get NOW. If someone offered you a job at mcdonalds working on the cash register TAKE IT .. right now in this moment that might not be what you are used to or want to do but its making some type of money instead of none. Also pray. I do not currently attend any churches and have not for quite some time but I do pray to god for help and assistance and when good things do fall through I know to thank him and it wasn’t just a string of good luck coming my way.

2 comments:

  1. I am very glad that you stress education. Education will lead you to all of your dreams of traveling, more money, etc. Spiritual education is also key to claiming what God has for you. Some people forget there are two sides to our lives that we must unite, the spiritual and worldly sides. You provided some very motivational words.

    ReplyDelete