Thursday, January 13, 2011

Feature #23: Shaka Lias, Crime Reporter


Name: Shaka Lias

Current Job Position Title: Crime Reporter

Company Name (optional):
The Daily Tribune News

Contact Information: divaofwriting@yahoo.com


Special skills:
I’m a “jacktress” of all trades when it comes to writing. I write poetry, short stories, bios, features, articles, if it tells a story I write it!


Describe your job story (how you got the job, what it takes to do what you do, etc.):
Well I started out at our sister paper, which is a weekly. I got the job eights months after graduating college. Worked at the paper for over two years with hopes of moving to a daily paper. In November 2010, my hopes became a reality and I started at the daily paper as the sole reporter for the crime beat!


What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
As a little girl I wanted to be an actress, I was so dramatic… As a teenager I found my craft for writing and followed that.



Are doing your dream job?
Yes I am, although Law School is calling me…. “Shaka, Shaka, Shaka”

What do you like MOST about what you do?
I’m doing what I love and what God blessed me with the talent to do. There is no other joy in a career than to be blessed to answer your calling and share it with the world.

What do you like the LEAST?
My goodness, covering crime. People are so cruel and do awful things to each other. I’d much rather write about the good people are doing, which occasionally I do. But it’s good to let the public know of what bad people do so they can be aware and most importantly not make the same mistakes. If you commit a crime, eventually you will get caught and I will write about it!

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
Finishing Law School, while still enjoying my gift of writing through freelance
Marrying somebody’s son and having his baby.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I’m alive, working in my career and healthy. No complaints here.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I always feel there is something more I can do to make a difference in someone’s life, even if it’s just one person. I want to save at least one person and make a difference in his or her life.


What drives/motivates you?
My daddy. He’s deceased, but he worked so hard to make sure I became somebody and I’m motivated by his investment in me. I know he’s watching so I continue to make him proud.

What else do you do?
Cook, I like to play around in the kitchen! Yums!

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Keep the faith…and trust in the unseen and unknown. Also believe in yourself, you know what you are capable of. Never give up on that person who stares in the mirror at you!

No comments:

Post a Comment