Monday, January 17, 2011

Feature #32: William Woods, Automotive Engineer


Name: William Jr. Woods

Current Job Position Title: Automotive Engineer

Company Name: General Motors

Describe your job story:
I am a senior development engineer. I am the guy who is responsible for coordinating the delivery of the engineering attributes of a complete automobile as stated by my employer, federal regulations, and the customer. Another aspect of my job is a trade-off process required to deliver all the automobile attributes at a certain acceptable level. An example of this is the trade-off between engine performance and fuel economy.

While some customers are looking for maximum power from their engine, the automobile is still required to deliver an acceptable level of fuel economy. From the engine's perspective, these are opposing requirements, which I have to make into a reality. Turn theory into practical. I am also responsible for organizing automobile level testing, validation, and certification. Components and systems are designed and tested individually by the product engineer. Everything else falls on me.

I went to Michigan State and then University of Michigan. I got a degree in automotive engineering. I didn't have to go look for a job. They (the motor industry) were lined up to recruit engineers because there is such a shortage of them. I work here in the states most of the year but spend at least 2 to 3 months working in Europe. So I do get to travel a lot.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
Growing up in Michigan, near the Motor City, I have always wanted to build cars and I stayed focused. Now I do that for a living.

Are doing your dream job?
Yes I am.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
It doesn't feel like a job, it feels more like a hobby. Not only do I get a brand new vehicle every year (I don't get to keep them), I always have at least 3 vehicles in my driveway I test. I never have to pay for gas!

What do you like the LEAST?
It's hectic and as a result I don't have time for a relationship.
I am not getting any younger and would have loved to have had a family of my own by now :( . I am married to my job and it can get lonely at times.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
I would love to get to work in Germany full time.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I am happy. God has been good to me.

What more do you want to do with your life?
Hopefully do something that will make a difference

What drives/motivates you?
My mother, father and sister

What else do you do?
Mentor troubled teens from single parent household's

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
We have to start somewhere. Let's be patient enough to grow those legs, then run. Some just want to start off with a sprint. That will only lead to a rude awakening later on. Surprise before you get surprised and have faith in the Lord, with whom all things are possible. If you want to be a doctor, go to school for it, AND THAT APPLIES TO EVERYTHING ELSE in life. Preparation for your goals is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment