Monday, December 16, 2013

Feature #95: Dave Steve, Overhead Crane Operator...

Name: Dave Steve

Current Job Position Title: 
Overhead Crane Operator/Freelance Graphic Designer/Photographer

Company Name: 
oneeyeup.com

Contact Information:

Special skills:
Connected to a higher power

Describe your job story: Well Neely, what had happened was...

In '93 I dropped out of  Oceanside High School (Oceanside, Ca.) in 10th grade and got incarcerated simultaneously. For 3yrs. I attended school while in  juvenile detention (no diploma, etc.) and was paroled to Brunswick, Ga., in '96. where my mother relocated to during my stay.  After parole    release, approximately a year later ( '97) I decided to relocate to Atlanta and finally making the move in late '98, 22yrs. old.

I found a job through the unemployment office which allowed me to get on my feet. In two years I was making 50k annually at 24yrs. old and I felt  this was my best opportunity, considering I didn't have a high school diploma or GED. However, my original plan was to attend art school or college, but not having a diploma held me back. 4yrs. into my employment I felt I was at a dead-end job and wanted to make another attempt at starting art school. So I started taking my off-time from work and studying for the GED. In '02 I completed my GED and decided to take advantage of the $500 HOPE Grant for GED recipients that was being offered at the time. Pursuing my education took front-seat to my employment.

In '03 I made the transition from the 2yr. community college to a 4yr. university to pursue a BFA in Graphic Design. At this time, I was eligible for the HOPE Scholarship, which I took advantage of as well. During this period,  I also made a decision to purchase my 1st home, which I accomplished  early '03 at 26yrs. old. At this point I worked a 48hr. weekly work schedule and attended school 20hrs. Weekly. I felt that I was accomplishing all of my goals, but knew that I wasn't in the career field that I truly desired to be in. I believed that acquiring a BFA would allow me to eventually enter the job field I felt passionate about.

The summer of '06 is when I graduated Summa Cum Laude and awarded "Most Outstanding Student in Graphic Design." Six months after graduation, the fact that I was still working my dead-end job and no clue as to how I would maintain my current living expenses, begin paying student loans and pursue my design career ( all on an entry-level graphic designer salary) started to sink in. Regardless, I felt it wouldn't get any easier the longer  I waited. So early '07 I decided to say "to hell with it" and resigned from my job to pursue freelance Graphic Design full-time......then in'08 we were in a recession.

After 4yrs. of self-employment and not getting ahead, I coincidentally ran into a couple of managers from the company I resigned from.  They asked would I consider coming back, as they needed experienced crane operators. We negotiated my pay and work schedule over lunch and I began part-time work with my old employer a week later. Under new terms, this job feels less like a dead-end job and more like a safety net, while  making investments into the design/photography career that I began 7yrs ago. 

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
 NFL player/rapper

Are doing your dream job? 
My freelance career is my career of choice
What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST? 
Mostly, i enjoy the unlimited opportunities that are available within the industry. I don't like sitting for long periods of time.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 
5yrs, I see myself invested in the most cutting edge technology and tools available in my field.

Are you happy with where you are in life? 
Very happy with where I've ended up currently.

What more do you want to do with your life? 
More traveling

What drives/motivates you?
Adventure, personal growth, money

What else do you do? 
I eat lots of food.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?

I advise them to stop seeking employment, create employment. if they have no hope, a job wouldn't help anyway. Boss up.

No comments:

Post a Comment