Sunday, December 29, 2013

Feature #101: Tamika Smith, Creative Director & Brand Stylist


Name: Tamika Smith

Current Job Position Title: Creative Director and Brand Stylist

Company Name: JOUJOU Creative

Contact Information: http://joujoucreative.com

Special skills: Graphic/Web Design, Character Illustrations and Photography

Describe your job story:
I run a small design studio and I design for nonprofits and small businesses. I launched the studio after my position was eliminated at my previous employer. I found myself unemployed after 8 years and didn't know what I was going to do. After a lot of stressing I realized I could use my skills to continue my career and follow my dreams. It can still be scary at times, but well worth it! 

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager? A teacher

Are doing your dream job?
Partially. I dream of being a successful photographer and I'm not quite there yet!

What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST?
What I like most is the freedom to be creative and express myself. What I like least is people who take my generosity and talents for granted. 

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
In the next 5 years I would like to see myself working as a lifestyle and portrait photographer with some of my images published.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
To an extent. I always think that I can do better and that motivates me. 

What more do you want to do with your life?
I would like to travel and take my daughter to different parts of the world. I would also like to shoot for some magazines too before its all said and done. I want to leave a legacy for her.

What drives/motivates you? Knowing that I can do better and better is a big motivator. Also looking at what other creatives are doing is both inspiring and motivating.

What else do you do?
I also design for an apparel line for children. The line is geared towards educating youth and starting a dialogue through the designs.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
There is always hope and to never give up. Like I stated previously, I found myself unemployed after 8 years and felt lost. I decided to take that opportunity and pursue my passion, my dream job. There is opportunity in every situation. It's all about how you view it and use it!


No comments:

Post a Comment