Monday, December 9, 2013

Feature #85: Samantha-Nicole Terry, Program Director

Name: Samantha - Nicole Terry 

Current Job Position Title:  Program Director 

Company Name: City of Atlanta Dept. of Parks and Recreation

Contact Information: 
snterry@atlantaga.gov

Special skills: 
Program research, development and implementation; program branding and marketing and youth development and outreach. 

Describe your job story: 
I have only worked for one agency my entire career and that’s the City of Atlanta. I started off as a lifeguard in high school, which became my summer job during college breaks. The aquatics program director was in need of an administrative staff person and some of the facility managers forwarded him my resume. My junior year of college I became an administrative assistant for the Aquatics Program Director, then transitioned to the marketing assistant. While working as marketing assistant I managed our internship, volunteer and teen program gaining more job experience in the field of programming (youth and teens).

5 years later, I applied for the Out of School Time Program Director position. It was I and one other candidate so they asked outside agencies to conduct the interviews. My presentation and portfolio landed me the position. Since I've managed youth and teen programs at 33 recreational facilities, developed programs where non previously existed and added value to current programs, within the City of Atlanta and accomplished some major goals! 
 
What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager? 
An on air radio personality AND communications teacher for Atlanta Public Schools.

Are doing your dream job? 
I LOVE inner city youth and providing opportunities for them. This is honestly one role that I don't consider a "JOB". 

What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST? 
What I love the most about my position is seeing the kids and teens exposed to something outside of their realm. I'm not an educator or teacher; however I think they have the most important jobs in society. In my role, I make sure the learning continues once the kids leave the school doors...from after school to spring break to summer break. To know that they are gaining wonderful experiences and learning social skills, its a blessing. These are life skills they gain and can attribute going forward. What I dislike the least, with no filter attached the POLITICAL side. I think the needs of the kids are often lost and not met when political agendas and favors are at the forefront of decision making. Actually, I think its SELFISH.

 Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 
Hopefully my non - profit (Tri-M: Modulating Music Mentorship) would be self sustaining through grants and I can continue to work FOR youth and teens without the limitations politics play. I also would like to serve on the Atlanta Public School Board or Atlanta City Council so that we can redirect the attention to the needs of our kids and not the people in office.

 Are you happy with where you are in life? 
I'm happy but I've learned to never be complacent. I have more to do with more people so that bliss has not been felt yet.

 What more do you want to do with your life? 
I want to be able to travel more globally so that I can see and observe first hand other countries program management and implementation of worthwhile programs for youth and teens. I really want to take teens abroad so that they get exposure of the world and aren't limiting themselves.

What drives/motivates you? 
My son Jaylen and the fact that the ONE child's life I can impact could EASILY change the world for the better. That is so powerful!

What else do you do? 
I am a freelance graphic designer. Its not my love just so happen to be good at it. I also work with the graduates of my non profit (about 100 or so young adults ages 19 - 25) with job training, resume development and an annual drive (clothing, food or toiletries) that we implement for youth and teens in the CIty of Atlanta. It keeps me BALANCED. 

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
My high school alma mater's namesake, Benjamin E. Mays said it best and it has ALWAYS stuck with me, " Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done." I learned through experience, just because I'm good at it, doesn't mean it should be my career.....Whatever you are good at, OWN IT, HONE IT and MAKE IT YOUR SELLING POINT! 


No comments:

Post a Comment