Monday, December 9, 2013

Feature #84: Dior Lowry, Assistant Track and Field Coach



Name: Dior Lowry

Current Job Position Title: Assistant Track and Field Coach

Company Name: Barton County Community College

Contact Information: Cell-267-339-8354 / Email-lowryd@bartonccc.edu

Special skills: Graphic Design, Coaching, Mentoring, Conceptual training methods

Describe your job story:
It is always hard talking about ones self so I might be a little bit over the place but mentioning what I feel are key pieces to my situational puzzle. I grew up as an only child in Philadelphia with the typical single mother, father conveniently present, grandparent assisted background. Family members like grandfathers, and uncles played a huge part in my growth as a male leading up to me meeting my stepfather at 12 years of age.  Coming from a street background my stepfather introduced and showed me to things I would have been otherwise ignorant of without his guidance.  

Discovering track and field in high school helped keep me grounded and away from the trouble I was walking toward in 9th grade.  Meeting one of my mentors in 11th grade added another positive male figure in my life that helped point me in the right direction of success on the track and in the classroom. Being an average student in high school, my first two years of college were difficult in learning how to study which resulted in my grades suffering and missing out of top NCAA Division 1 scholarship offers. Upon transferring to a 4 year school I encountered another coach that stressed the importance of academics and athletics similar to my high school coach; resulting in the highest academic honors. My aim is to keep my athletes from making the mistakes I made being in there same position at the same school just a hand full of years before with hopes of them being offered the most buck for their bang.


What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
I wanted to be a professional athlete when I was a child.

Are doing your dream job?
Yes I am doing my dream job. My dream jobs were to be a graphic designer, track and field athlete and a coach.  With this position I am able to be creative with my workouts, receive the benefits of having a good athlete, coach and lead these athletes in the right direction.

What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST?
What I like the most about my job if the freedom to organize and implement things when I see fit. What I like least about my job is the constant fight against learned laziness, being unappreciated and repeating myself.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 
In the next 5 years I see myself doing the same job I am doing now but 5 years wiser then I was before. 

Are you happy with where you are in life? 
Yes I am happy where I am in my life which is a position of potential growth. 

What more do you want to do with your life? 
I would like to travel with family more and find a solution to the inconvenience that RSD patients feel. 

What drives/motivates you? 
The will to win and be the best coach motivates me. 

What else do you do? 
I also listen to music, research and occasionally workout or join in with my athletes. 

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?

My advice to those who are seeking employment but have no hope is to network, apply, apply and look at job interests on a global scale; there is no harm in trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment