Saturday, December 14, 2013

Feature #92: Yernia Preer, Health Educator...


Name: Yernia Preer,  MPH, CPH, CHES

Current Job Position Title: Health Educator, Founder/President

Company Name: It’s Your Health, Inc

Contact Information: ypreer@itsyourhealthinc.org, Like us on Facebook @ It’s Your Health, Inc

Special skills:
Program Development, Implementation, and Evaluation, Project Coordination and Management, Health Communications, Teaching and Mentoring

Describe your job story: I have always wanted to own my own business and be successful in life. I have had many people (teachers, family members, friends, mentors, etc) and opportunities in life that have shaped me into the person I am today. My experiences have allowed me to understand what I want out of life, what my gifts, talents and passions are, and how I can better serve those around me. I am a public health advocate and unknowingly at the time, began working in the field of public health in the 7th grade. I have worked with and volunteered at many nonprofits over the years, including Cools Girls, Inc, YMCA and Planned Parenthood that gave me hands-on experience teaching, mentoring, and promoting health.

I am a graduate from Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and University of Georgia with a Master of Public Health with a Concentration in Health Behavior and Promotion. It wasn’t until recently that an epiphany allowed me to visualize and understand how I could combine my education, experience, and entrepreneurial spirit with my true passions and gifts. This epiphany led to the development of my non-profit organization, ‘It’s Your Health, Inc’. It’s Your Health, Inc was founded in 2012 and provides health education services, programs, workshops and outreach activities to at-risk individuals and communities in and around the metro-Atlanta area. Our purpose is to empower communities by equipping individuals with the knowledge and skills needed to make behavior changes that lead to healthier lifestyles and improved quality of life.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
As a child I dreamed of becoming a Medical Doctor; I even waited until my senior year of undergraduate school to change my degree from Biology/Pre-Med to Psychology after finally realizing my true calling for health education and public health. In the near future I plan to pursue a PhD in Public health, so I still might become a doctor someday, just in a different capacity.

Are you doing your dream job?
Yes and No. I am currently in the process of building and creating my dream job.

What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST?
I like that I am doing something that matters and that has a rewarding payoff for myself and others. I like that I get to work hands on in the communities that I serve and see direct positive impacts. I like that I am educating people about things that are important to them and providing useful resources.  I do not like that there are not enough people like myself doing more to combat the pressing issues of preventative chronic diseases in minority and low-income communities. It can be quite stressful and frustrating at times because one person cannot do everything or help everyone.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
In the next 5 years I see myself being the CEO of a very successful non-profit organization that will positively affect people. I see myself being a part of a national and international movement towards reducing health disparities and health inequities while increasing peoples’ desire and ability to live longer and healthier.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
Every day is a blessing and opportunity to do more, meet new people, experience new things, and move closer to my dreams; so yes, I am happy. I am not where I want to be per say, but I am on the right path and making progress.

What more do you want to do with your life?
Positively influence people around me to make better informed decisions and live healthier lifestyles, and volunteer and give back more.

What drives/motivates you?
My future, present and past.

What else do you do?
I work full time as a Community Health Worker at a Medical Center in Atlanta, GA.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?

There is always hope, always choices, and always opportunities, you just have to stay optimist and open minded. Being unemployed for almost a year forced me to consider other career and job opportunities. It forced me to ask what do I really want to do career wise, what are ALL of my skill sets and how can they be used to generate income. Always network, you never know who knows who and how someone and their resources can help you now or in the future. While unemployed my full time job became searching for jobs and figuring out how to create the right one for me, thus ‘It’s Your Health, Inc’ was born. My advice is to never cease the search for better opportunities, for when you do, they cease to present themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment