Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Feature #106: Monique Ogunsusi, Graduating Valedictorian

Name: Monique K. Ogunsusi (Monica Ogunsusi's Twin)

Position: Graduating Valedictorian (High School)

Special skills:
 I taught myself how to play the guitar when I was thirteen, and it is by far my favorite pastime. I also like brain exercises like the Rubik’s cube. Over the past summer I taught myself how to solve the 2x2x2 cube all the way to 5x5x5 cube. I also am very good at reciting math material in large quantities like powers, trigonometric identities, and even unrelated numerical sequences.

Describe your personalities:
I am a very “chilled” and relaxed person. There isn’t much that can upset me, meaning I’m almost always in a great mood! I love to help people and my peers value my advice and opinion because of its sincerity. I’m a firm believer that a man is only as good as his word, and I live my life as honestly as I am able to. But, I am also a very strange person. I pride myself in being odd. It’s different and unconventional, but it allows fun in my lifestyle.

What did you want to be as a child?
When I was younger I was very good with my hands, and I would start small renovation projects around my house. I was known as the mini mechanic. So I thought that I wanted to be a mechanical engineer who would build really cool gadgets for the CIA or the FBI or something. My biggest dream as a child was to build flying cars… I actually still have that dream. My original plan as a child has not deviated much, but it is no longer the same.

Are you in school?
Yes, I am currently dual enrolled into Middle Georgia State college as well as Mundys Mill High School.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 
Still in school! I will be completing my master’s program, hopefully abroad. I have planned to put my BS degree in Chemical engineering into practice in a foreign country as I try and obtain my Master’s degree. Ideally in France, China, or somewhere in Latin America.

Are you happy with where you are in life? 
Yes and No. Yes, I am happy that I have accomplished more than I would have ever thought I was capable of achieving less than two years ago. No, because I always feel like there is more that I could be doing, and if I am satisfied with the accomplishments that I have achieved now I won’t be to able reach my full potential.

What more do you want to do with your life? 
I want to give back more. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been raised in a privileged society where many things are handed to me, but that’s not the case for many kids in other parts of the world. The wealth in the world is not evenly distributed as it should be, and I’d like to change that. Through philanthropy and volunteering, I’d like to stop the suffering felt by families across the globe.

What drives/motivates you
My passion drives me to succeed. When you enjoy doing something you don’t need much motivation. I enjoy my field of study, and that allows me to continue excelling in it. But, my family is also another motivator in my life. They push me outside my area of interest so that I can experience different fields that I could potentially be proficient in.

What else do you do?
 I’m involved with many clubs and organizations, but the one that I’m most proud of is Student Government. Being a senator for SGA is almost like being an actual senator. The students rely on SGA to voice their opinions for them in order to make change on campus.
I also like to research outside of the required assignments given by my instructors. I am a part of a research team that is building a photo bioreactor that will allow us to collect algae. Once the alga is obtained we will then convert that into biodiesel that will power the greenhouse on campus. This is the kind of project that I find interesting, and what I choose to spend my free time doing.

What is your advice to those who have big dreams and aspirations?
Hard work is the only way to success; there is no other way around it. If you truly have a passion for something the only thing that can stop you is yourself, so believe in yourself and others will follow. Lastly, through God all things are possible, so have faith that if it is meant to be it shall come to pass.

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
What do you do to uplift the people in your community?
I’ve been getting in touch with my old middle school in hopes of being able to talk to the older kids about their future. I’d like to show them that no matter where they come from, they can compete in the real world and that they have just as much chance to succeed as any other kid in America.

I also teach the appreciation of music through the learning of instruments. I give free guitar lessons to anyone that is interested in broadening their musical horizons. Music changes the atmosphere of wherever it is present, and that is why I think it’s important that it is taught.

How long have you been involved with engaging those in your community?
Since I started high school I have been active in my community. Had I known how rewarding it felt I would’ve started it sooner!

What do you want your peers to learn about getting involved with the community?
That being involved isn’t a punishment, but rather a way for you to pay forward your gratitude towards those who have paved the road for you. Giving back is really rewarding, and once you begin you’ll find out that it’s actually quite fun.

Are you working on any upcoming community projects?
Yes! Student government is hosting our very first annual color run 5k. This color run will raise money for the school system surrounding the college. This is by far the most demanding service project that I have been a part of, but I know that the reward for the community will amount for the effort we’ve put in.

How can we get involved?

Some people think getting involved means that you have to go to a homeless shelter every day and work 20 hour shifts, when it’s not. Yes, some people decide to give back like that, but that’s not the only way. There are small ways of giving back that also benefit the community. Volunteering to help the elderly in your own neighborhood, cleaning the surrounding areas of your school and neighborhood, or even just helping out around your school or church are small ways of giving back. There is no set guideline for volunteering, but as long as you are helping make someone else’s life easier you are doing your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment