Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Feature #103: Shawn Deangelo Walton, Founder



Name: Shawn Deangelo Walton

 Current Job Position Title: Founder / Executive Director

Company Name: WeCycle ATL

Contact Information: wecycleATL@gmail.com

Special skills: Community Outreach, Communication, Culturally Responsive 

Describe your job story: The ideal of Wecycle Atlanta Inc. came about as I begin to become a serious commuter in Atlanta in 2005. During this time I was in Morehouse College and my friend Wendell rode to the campus on a bicycle and I thought about how convenient it would be for me to ride a bicycle to school. I had just come off of horrible experiences with buying cars that turned out to be "Lemons" and I was ready for something new. There were no places to get a bicycle in West Atlanta at the time so I picked up my first commuter bike from SOPO, a really great bicycle co-op that we get a lot of inspiration from. At the time I stayed in East Atlanta so my commute to and from Morehouse College was about 10 miles. The first week of cycling I realized 3 things immediately.

1.) That I wasn't in the best shape! The topology of Atlanta is hills on hills on hills. My commute allowed me to gauge my health and make positive adjustments to my diet. I began to take in more water, fruits, and vegetables and even gave being a vegan a shot for 3 years. I became more health conscious just by riding a bicycles. 2.) It allowed me to see the environment like I never saw it before. One can only explore the environment so much in a car. If there is something vibrant in the area that catches a car drivers eye the driver is forced to either stop traffic, do a u-turn, or come back to it at a later date, but on a bicycle one can simply stop on the curb, lock up the bike and explore. I also enjoy being exposed to the environment less a coup like structure that we experience in cars without convertible roofs. 3.) It made sense! Gas prices were soaring at that time and every other complaint about the economy had to do with the rising prices of oil/gas. Commuting via the velo (bike in french) allowed me to keep extra money in my pockets that I was saving from not having to pay for gas, a car note, insurance, or miscellaneous car expenses. Riding a bike made life financially easier for me. I ultimately wanted to share what I had learned by cycling to African Americans and low-income communities. I realized that I had found a practical and affordable solution to help people engage health, the environment, and economics in a positive way and I wanted to share that and Wecycle Atlanta became that vehicle. 

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
When I was a child I wanted to be many things. I wanted to be a stock broker in the 5th grade for some strange reason. Towards middle school I wanted to be a Professional Baseball player. In high school I got a hold of some really great teachers who inspired me to pursue a vocation in education. Though my dream occupations varied throughout my childhood, there was always a job that was the foundation of what I wanted to be, and that was a successful father. Growing up in a single parent home exposed me to emotional hardships that came without knowing who my father was, so I made a promise to myself that no matter what I did in life it was a means to and end, and that end goal was to be a great father to my children. 

Are doing your dream job?
I can honestly say that I am. Being an entrepreneur and educator has always been to goal. I have freedom and flexibility doing things that I love and create. Wecycle Atlanta allows me to use every ounce of my creativity everyday and creating something that sustains my life and the lives of others is completely fulfilling. Everything isn't always peachy-keen but the sun is usual shining on our progress as an organization and we are thankful for that. 

What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST?
What I like the most is hearing the youth talk about things that they learn from cycling and gardening. They understand how both can help the environment and often when they are talking among each other I hear them propel thoughts about sustainable living back and forward really opens my heart up. The least thing I like is e-mails! Its something that I have to put on my favorite jams to to make exciting. Communication is key to success in a small business, so I don't mind the tedious task of e-mails. 

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? In the next 5 years I see myself doing the same things that I am doing, but at greater levels. In 5 years Wecycle Atlanta would have established a co-op bicycle shop, and we will be running programs out of it day in and day out. I will still be heavily engaged in community affairs as well. Outside of Wecycle Atlanta I am also an elected official of the City of Atlanta's Neighborhood Planning Units. My goal is to inform community members about opportunities and engage them in communal activities at a greater rate than I already am. 

 Are you happy with where you are in life?
I'm not completely satisfied and that comes with me knowing what has to be done to get myself and Wecycle Atlanta where I want it to be. I'm content with where I am, and I find joy in every moment, but I refuse to be complacent over small victories. I still want better for myself and my community. 

What more do you want to do with your life?
I would like to take the concept of Wecycle Atlanta to Africa to partner with countries and cities to create sustainable solutions to enhance traveling and food production through cycling and agriculture. I would also like to develope Wecycle Atlanta's core principles in Health, Economics, and Environment into a state and community funded curriculum. 

What drives/motivates you?
God's grace and being given chances to great through God's great will. That motivates me. 

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Trust in your ability to do for yourself. Make your own opportunities. God has instilled in all of us the innate ability to create and sustain. All employers and corporations know this, and it would be advantageous for anyone to know and understand as well. 

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
What do you do to uplift the people in your community?
Its a mutual upliftment. I don't do anything for the community that it doesn't to for me. My community has provided a beautiful community garden in Ashview that I get to serve and organize in every saturday with community members. This garden provides me the opportunity to work with my community to provide fresh organic foods as well as engage youth in weekly bicycle rides and community service. This uplifts everyone, from the people receiving the food to neighbors sitting on porches watching a beautiful parade of black youth riding bicycles around the community. 

How long have you been involved with engaging those in your community?
I have been involved in engaging communities members at the age of 14. I was the Vice President of the Dekalb County Youth NAACP. There we would canvas communities to let them know about legislation that would effect us, as well as take trips to souther states to protest the confederate flags hanging on capitol buildings. In college I begin to help organize marches on the end of horrific incidents such as the Jena 6, Oscar Grant, Trayvon Martin, Troy Davis, and more. These type of incidents effect the quality of life in the African American communities and it has always been on my heart to help address such matters. 

What do you want the youth to learn from your leadership?
I think they learn leadership from my leadership. I don't claim to be the most versed activist with all the solutions to help eliminate African Americans and Low-Income people in America. What I do is, well... I just do things. I do things that can be easily implemented in someones life that will help it for the better, and I do it consistently. So as the youth see me ride a bicycle and work in the garden I only hope that they do the same and teach others. From recent conversations with them I have realized that the ideas of sustainable living has reached them, and that is a seed that I pray flourished to beautify our community. 

Are you working on any upcoming community projects?

Yes! Wecycle Atlanta is currently raising fund to move into a store front in our community. This will take Wecycle Atlanta's service to the community to another level. It would put us close to various institutions to promote our principles in Work Ethics, Health, Environment, Economics, Leadership, and Sustainability. We've been working on this project for over a year now and it finally looks like its going to happen, but we will need a lot of support from people like you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment