Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Feature #105: Monica Ogunsusi, Graduating Senior

Name: Monica T. Ogunsusi (Monique Ogunsusi's Twin) 

Position: Graduating Senior (High School)

Special skills: Good soccer player and swimmer. Good at analyzing situations.

Describe your personalities: Analytical, determined, curious, honest, open-minded, and kind. These are words I would use to describe myself. My analytical, open-minded, and kind characteristics are some that I use out of school to help me relate and understand myself, my surroundings, and other people. My determined and curious characteristics help me to excel in my academics and keeps learning fun and new. I use honesty inside and outside of school. I see this characteristic as one of the most important, because without honesty there is no trust, and when people can’t trust you, you can’t form real relationships. I believe relationships are important, and that is why honesty is my most cherished virtue.

What did you want to be as a child?
I actually wanted to become a Veterinarian, because I loved dogs. I eventually saw that wasn’t practical, because I would sometime have to make hard decisions that would determine an animal’s life. That would not be fun. I found what I was really interested in, which is psychology and neurology, and from there I found out I wanted to be a Psychiatrist.

Are you in school?
I am currently in school. I am dual enrolled, so I am a senior in high school and sophomore in college. I will be graduating with my high school diploma and my associates in Biology this May. I am so excited!

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I am very happy with where I am in life right now. I can see that I am currently in an important growing stage, and this make new experience and just day to day life more interesting because I know that it is all shaping who I will be in the future. Also being in college is a fun and freeing experience, so I am just soaking it all in and having loads of fun!

What more do you want to do with your life?
I don’t just want to be a regular worker that sits behind a desk and has no influence on the outside world. I want to change people’s lives! I want to discover new things in the field of neuropsychology and find cures to some of the mental diseases our population faces today.

What drives/motivates you?
My future in helping other is what motivates me the most. Schools can get hard and life can get overwhelming, but I know that it all will be worth it in the end when I can help to save a person life!

What is your advice to those who have big dreams and aspirations?
Like you have heard before… Go for it! If you never try, you will never know what you can do. Do not be afraid to take on new things. I was hesitant to attend college so early and scared at what might happen if I failed. But you must always go for it, because the most unpleasant feeling to experience is regret. Always put your heart into what is it you’re doing. If you passionate about math give it you all, and if you aren’t, still give it everything. You should want to show future employers and yourself that you are capable of doing whatever you put your effort into. I also want to add something that I feel is very important. START EARLY! If you’re interested in medicine start looking for internships involving that field or volunteer at a hospital. Look for things that will gain you experience, because you don’t want to end up in your senior year of college with no tangible knowledge gained form your experiences that help you with your future career.

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
What do you do to uplift the people in your community?
Being where I am now, good grades and my desire to attain a higher education, my community is delighted to hear back from me. My middle school has never had huge success stories and struggles to get students motivated. I go back and visit my old school so that I can show that that you can excel from the position you are in. I try an motivate them by showing them that someone who used to be in the same position they were in can do great things, so they can too!

How long have you been involved with engaging those in your community?
Like I said before, start early. I didn’t have someone to give me that advice, so I didn’t see the importance of giving back. But when I started community service back in the 10th grade (two years ago) I found it to be a lot of fun and very rewarding! Volunteering at the senior living home let me bring smiles to people faces.

What do you want your peers to learn about getting involved with the community?
It’s important to give back, because you could shape someone future. Bringing joy to someone face or helping guide someone younger than to a path  that will help them be successful are all rewarding experiences. Don’t just do it for school or for a club you’re in, but do it because you enjoy it. Always find things that are going to make you and the person your helping happy!

Are you working on any upcoming community projects?
I am not working on anything particularly, but I am always finding new way to volunteer in my community.

How can we get involved?
Go out and find something you enjoy. It could be helping little kids with their homework after school, or playing bingo with the elderly. Whatever it is, go and find it so that you can enjoy giving back while also helping those in you community!


No comments:

Post a Comment