Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Feature #53: Jovon Lewis, Teacher/Founder/Mentor


Name: Jovon Lewis

Current Job Position Title: 6th grade Non-Fiction Teacher/ Founder/Mentor of G.I.R.L. Inc

Company Name: Kipp DC/G.I.R.L. Inc

Contact Information: jovon@girl_inc.org

Special skills:
I love to cook and organize everything J

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
I wanted to be a Fashion Editor for Essence Magazine

Are doing your dream job?
Since college, I always wanted to be a school teacher. But, my dream job is to run my non-profit organization full time and make that a national organization.

What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST?
I love working with the youth.  I want to continue to be a positive role model for them and tell them they don’t have to be a product of their environment.

Least – Teaching students with different background can be challenging at times but I learn how to deal.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?  
I see myself running my non-profit out of D.C., Richmond, Virginia and Baltimore Maryland.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I’m very happy and blessed to be where I am. I wouldn’t change anything.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I want to start a family in the near future. J

What drives/motivates you?
God, Family, and myself.  My students motivate me to become a better teacher.  My future children drive me to build an empire for them.

What else do you do?
I’m also an event manger at a Theatre Company in Northern Virginia.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope? 
Speak from your heart and walk by faith.  When you feel like you are on an E, pray to God and he will give you the fuel that you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment