Thursday, February 9, 2012

Feature #54: Roy Edward Lewis, IT Director

Name: Roy Edward Lewis, Jr. (Jovon Lewis' Older Brother)

Current Job Position Title:  IT Director

Company Name: Perry Street Preparatory Charter School

Contact Information: rlewis81@gmail.com

Special skills: Can cook any meal from scratch

Describe your job story:
I started as a contractor 2 years ago and with hard work and some dedication, I moved up.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
At first, I didn’t have a clue on what I want to be. I was at in a limbo state with no goals or ambitions and not as much faith after high school. My relationship with Him improved over the years and I started to see a greater purpose for my life then I originally thought.

Are doing your dream job?
Yes. I’m doing the professional job that I was trained for, but I feel that I can always improve and keep reaching for the top even if there nothing is up there.

What do you like MOST about what you do? What do you like the LEAST?
Most: I like that I have more freedom with what I do. My decisions can help and improve everybody else when it comes to giving them reliable equipment to aid in their teachings and lesson plans.

Least: Trying to instruct others on how to use certain software, but I am patient, though.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Working at a bigger company (or my own) in the same field but managing more people and possibly hearing my child’s first words.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I am content and blessed, but still have a lot of room for improvement.

What more do you want to do with your life?
I would like to travel more and volunteer in my community.

What drives/motivates you?
Truthfully, my late dad is what motivates me now. I used to watch him struggle with 3 jobs at one point to keep up his household, especially with his wife—who wasn’t employed—and sometimes family members. I want to live a stress-free life and be happily married with my wife so that we can provide a good stress-free environment for our children.

What else do you do?
I also go to people’s homes or businesses and fix/install computer equipment.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
 I was once unemployed for a year. During that time, I wanted to lose hope after I losing my car and moving back home, since my unemployment benefits had run out.  Somehow, during that time of me hitting rock bottom, my faith was renewed. To this day, I still don’t know how my whole mood changed. However, instead of me counting my woes and disappointments in life, I became thankful. I was thankful to the Lord for still giving me breath in the morning. I was thankful for having a wonderful family around me. I got into a period of being thankful and stopped stressing about everything around me. That same day out-the-blue, I had a job interview setup by my sister at a school. I was hired on-the-spot as a contractor and the rest was history after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment