Thursday, March 17, 2011

Feature #40: Daniel Burdette Moll, Singer...


Name: Daniel Burdette Moll

Current Job Position Title: Singer, Composer, Musician

Company Name: The Nervous Wreck

Contact Information: danielburdettemoll@gmail.com

Special skills:
booking, marketing, writing, recording, graphic design, promotions, accounting, business planning, and the ability to spend 8 months in a van without losing my mind.

Describe your job story:
I've always played music, from the time I was a child, until now. Now I just do it with a purpose and some goals in mind. I felt called to do this, I've never really felt called to do anything else. It takes alot to do what I do, because these days you're doing most of it yourself and with the help of some good friends. The days of rock stars and multi-million record deals have been over for a long time, and thankfully have been replaced with hard work, careful planning, and attention to detail.

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
Honestly, I wanted to be one of the talking steam train engines on shining time station, when I found out that wasn't really an option, this seemed like the next best thing.

Are doing your dream job?
You better believe it.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
Staying up late and writing and recording probably. There's nothing quite like the sun coming up as your eyes get heavy, pressing play on the multi-tracker, and finally hearing what you've been working all night to track out. It's very satisfying, and for me, it's the most fun I get to have. That and playing packed out shows every now and again, those are really fun because you get to interact with lots of people and hopefully make them smile a little.

What do you like the LEAST?
Industry people, and stalkers.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
On the highway in one country or another.

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I'm pretty stoked for it. I dated a neurosurgeon one time that couldn't understand my love for what I do and tried to make me choose. She would have wanted me to be in college or working for some big corporate firm or something, but does anybody really honestly wanna do that stuff? Not me.

What more do you want to do with your life?
Continue to help people, particularly teenagers and twenty somethings, continue writing, continue releasing records, and having fun. That's what we were made to do, was fall in love with the world we live in, and I'd like to continue down that path.

What drives/motivates you?
Love.

What else do you do?
I drive my autistic brother back and forth to work whenever I'm in town, that's a lot of fun because he's a riot. Other than that, I help out with a local youth ministry, run open mics around town, do studio work, stuff like that.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Make a job for yourself. Do what you love until you figure out how to make enough money to live off it, you get one life, don't look back and have regrets. Forget the big bucks, if they come your way that's great, but if they don't and you have to live like the rest of us, there's no shame in that. Just love what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment