Thursday, March 17, 2011

Feature #39: Brittni Joy West-Ware, EduTainer


Name: Brittni Joy West-Ware

Current Job Position Title: International EduTainer

Contact Information: bwestware@yahoo.com

Special skills:
Making the impossible, day by day.... Showing people the amazing within, gift for gab

Describe your job story:
So, my job story is kind of different. I graduated from college and didn't want to continue in what my degree was in. (child development) So instead I decided to teach swim lessons and bartend. After 9 months of this life one of my swim lessons parents asked why I wasn't a teacher. I told her I was certiifed but didn't have a job opening.(slight fib, had openings just was fearful) So she tells me that in two days she will be at a teaching job fair and I should come. I wasn't going to go but she called my job and asked if I was on my way the DAY of the fair so my boss gave me the rest of the day off and I attended the fair. I was hired within 25 minutes of my interviews and thus began my teaching career. I loved my kids and my extracurricular activites with the students but hated my Principal. So after 4 years of persecution from her, I decided I HAD to quit. And I did. I didn't have a plan or another job but I couldn't take it anymore.

A month after school ended (around mid June) I went on craigs list to find a bartending job and hoping I would stumble upon something amazing. But for giggles I went ahead and checked out the educators section first. The first job posting was a teaching position in Abu Dhabi for Kindergarten- 3rd. I had nothing better to do so I sent the same posting to my friends and we both applied the same day. We received a phone interview within days of us submitting our applications and by July 8 (my in person interview day) I was hired to teach here for the fall. The hardest decision was ... telling everyone I was leaving. But I did it! I moved clear across to the other side of the world, I teach Kindergarten to non English speakers (they speak arabic) and I LOVE IT! My work load is less, I get paid more, and have an AMAZING time. I travel, party, and have a bunch of new people who were just like me. Ready to MOVE to IMPROVE! I don't have a lot of resources but I take what I have and entertain my students. Thats why I call myself an EDU Tainer. I educate while I entertain!

What did you want to be when you were a child/ teenager?
When I was a child I wanted to be a singer or entertainer, then when I became a teenager I simply wanted to be around children. They are so cute and are truly the only human beings that ALWAYS keep it real 24/7/365

Are doing your dream job?
Now, I KNOW I am doing part of my dream job. I want to amaze, inspire, encourage, and educate. And I am doing that. Just... on the other side of the world.

What do you like MOST about what you do?
The part I enjoy the most in what I do, is seeing a child take what you've shown them and taught them, and use it. My students here spoke NO English when I first met them. Now they can carry on a semi conversation, use English words to talk to me (blah blah blah blue fish blah blah ) , and try to read books that I have read to them. The thrill of teaching them is seeing their eyes light up when they think no one is watching!

What do you like the LEAST?
The least is the support from others (including family and friends). Its sucks when you think someone is on your side and they end up against you. It seems the same way with administration back in the states. They appear to be on a child's side, when really they have their own interest at heart.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
In the next five years, I see myself returning to the USA after my world adventures and attempting to open my own residential school. ( In case you're wondering, as residential school is a school where a child is not hendered by home life, so they stay at dorms at school until the weekend and then return home to their families) I might even try to revamp the educational system that our children at home suffer in now... or teach on the beach!

Are you happy with where you are in life?
I am OVERLY happy with my current life and how it is all panning out! Its AWESOME!! My life is like the wind and I am moving where it blows me!

What more do you want to do with your life?
I want to be married and have a family and a dog (definitely want a dog!) I also want to try to make a bigger difference in the planet. Its amazing to see how many people know so little and how many people THINK they know so much.

What drives/motivates you?
Enjoying life motivates me! And having successful students is also strong motivation. One day your students can piss you off and you want to quit and the next day they LOVE learning and make you want to go further than what you have planned! It keeps me on my toes and keeps me moving!

What else do you do?
I sing, I dance, I write poems. AND I READ!! I love to read and with all the down time at school, I can bust trhough some books! I try to do it all... Being overseas really opens your eyes to what it means to be from the States and how priviliaged we are to do what we want to do. Here, in the UAE, there aren't a lot of options.

What is your advice to those who are seeking employment and have no hope?
Keep your head up. Search in places you would NEVER look. I remember coming out of college depressed cause I DID NOT want to teach. To top it all off I remember quiting my USA teaching job NOT WANTING TO TEACH. But there is always a bigger plan out there for you.. I mean geez.. I found my job of a life time on craigs list...

1 comment:

  1. I am absolutely inspired by your story. I feel like in so many ways our lives are different but still so similar. As a graduating senior, I have alot of tough life changing decisions to make that will determine my fate. I now know from your story to expect the unexpected, GO through OPEN doors, and use what your momma gave you... if you don't use it you will LOSE it!

    ReplyDelete